Richard Torrez Jr. looks ready to end United States’ glory draught in the super heavyweight competition at Olympics. The Team USA boxer has defeated Chouaib Bouloudinats in the round of 16 fights of Tokyo 2020 to book a quarterfinal berth. The 23-year-old dropped his Algerian opponent in the first round and continued to dominate the rest of the fight. Torrez Jr will next face Cuba’s Dainier Pero in the quarterfinal. The amateur American showed that he’s the No. 3 seed for a reason. The last time an American bagged an Olympic medal in the super heavyweight division dates back to 1988 when Riddick Bowe won silver.
Other members of Team USA were rather unlucky. Troy Isley put up a good fight but came up just short on points against Russia’s Gleb Bakshi.
Ginny Fuchs has also exited the games after losing to Bulgaria’s Stoyka Krasteva. Here are the outcomes of the Day 6 fights:
• Hebert Sousa (Brazil) def. Erbieke Tuoheta (China)
• Abilkhan Amankul (Kazakhstan) def. Fanat Kakhramonov (Uzbekistan)
• Darrelle Valsaint Jr (Haiti) def. David Tshama (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
• Gleb Bakshi (Russian Olympic Committee) def. Troy Isley (United States)
Men’s super heavyweight
• Richard Torrez Jr (United States) def. Chouaib Bouloudinats (Algeria)
• Dainier Pero (Cuba) def. Cristian Salcedo (Colombia)
• Ivan Veriasov (Russian Olympic Committee) def. Maxime Yegnong (Cameroon)
• Kamshybek Kunkabayev (Kazakhstan) def. Yousry Rezk Mostafa (Egypt)
• Ingrit Valencia (Colombia) def. Mary Kom (India)
• Tsukimi Namiki (Japan) def. Graziele Sousa (Brazil)
• Stoyka Krasteva (Bulgaria) def. Ginny Fuchs (United States),
• Yuan Chang (China) def. Charley Davison (Great Britain