Ruiz: AJ Rematch Will Be On My Terms, On My Turf
Last week Eddie Hearn announced that Andy Ruiz and Anthony Joshua will have their rematch on December 7th in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia.
Yet, the unified world heavyweight champion is under the impression that he and Joshua will not be making their way to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, but back in the United States.
“I know everyone is talking about the (second) fight and all that,” Ruiz said in his first comments since Friday’s announcement. “We got the real news coming soon, but the fight is gonna happen soon.
“AJ got the rematch, yes we do got the rematch. But it’s gonna be on my term(s)… on our term(s). We’re gonna bring it back here in the United States.”
Hearn insists that Joshua and Matchroom Boxing had full control over the date and location for Joshua and Ruiz’s rematch, as Joshua looks to regain his world titles after a shock TKO loss.
Yet, since the start of negotiations, both sides have been engaged in a fierce battle over where the fight would take place, as Ruiz wanted the fight in a more welcoming territory such as California, Las Vegas, Mexico, or a return to Madison Square Garden, while Joshua and Hearn were looking into a return to the United Kingdom, primarily Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales.
“AJ… He’s scared. Hell yeah, why do you think he’s over there, trying to make the fight in Saudi Arabia,” Ruiz Jr said of the former champion, believing Joshua wants to stack the deck in his favor. “Like I said, I don’t have no protection over there.
“Look, United States of America wants to… never mind, I can’t say nothing. But… the fight is gonna happen soon.”
Initial Report: Boxing Scene