Ruiz Says He’ll End Joshua’s Career

The heavyweight championship rematch between Andy Ruiz and Anthony Joshua is official, and Ruiz says the consequences of Joshua losing this time will be greater than their first fight.

Ruiz-Joshua II, which takes place on December 7, is Joshua’s immediate invoking of a rematch clause from the pair’s first fight back in June. After getting knocked down in the third round, Ruiz battled back to drop Joshua twice in the round before dropping him two more times in the seventh en route to a TKO.

Despite Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, announcing the fight earlier this month for Saudi Arabia — and Joshua and his team holding the right to select the venue for the rematch — Ruiz showed apprehension in flying to the Western Asian country.

After some more negotiations, and Hearn threatening a lawsuit, the deal is now set in stone.

In his social media post to announce the rematch, Ruiz said that while he took Joshua’s undefeated record in their first fight, he’ll be taking Joshua’s career this time around.

Meanwhile, Hearn said the surprise, yet neutral, ground for such a big title fight can only do more good for the sport of boxing.

“We had approaches from Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Qatar,” Hearn said. “We wanted to go somewhere that had a vision for the sport of boxing. We already knew Saudi Arabia was for real and investing in the sport. We have to realize that there is another world out there outside of Cardiff and Madison Square Garden. We have an obligation to grow the sport to new areas and regions.

This event could change boxing forever. If Saudi is going to invest in these fights you could be seeing a big change in the dynamics of the sport, which truly excites me.

Original Story: Boxing Scene

You might also like
By using our site you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. X