Several Bouts Added To Conlan’s St. Patrick’s Day Showdown
Several undercard bouts featuring some of the top young talents in Top Rank Boxing have been finalized for Michael Conlan’s return to Madison Square Garden on St. Patrick’s Day.
Josue Vargas will defend his IBF North American 140-pound Title against Salvador Briceno.
Vargas (16-1) has won 10 in a row. In his last fight inside Madison Square Garden, the 21-year-old beat Noel Murphy for the North American Title via unanimous decision. This will be the man with nine wins via knockouts fourth time inside Madison Square Garden.
“I’m excited to be fighting in my hometown on such a stacked card,” Vargas said. “It’s an honor to defend my belt in front of my friends, family and biggest supporters. I can’t wait for another spectacular fight night and to put on a show for everyone who will be watching on ESPN+.”
The 25-year-old Briceno (17-5) has eleven wins via knockout. He won his last bout via TKO against Eddie Guzman in November. He is 3-2 in his last five fights, all in 2019.
Other fights on the card include:
- Julian Rodriguez (19-0) facing off against Dannie Williams (24-3), a former top prospect
- Paddy Donovan (3-0) will be looking for the next step in his promising career as he takes on Gregory Young (4-3). Donovan is a 13-time National Amateur Champion.
“I can’t wait for my U.S. debut. I learned so much from training alongside Tyson Fury recently,” Donovan said. “I’m taking that experience into this fight. Thank you to Top Rank for putting me on this card. Conlan’s St. Patrick’s Day cards are always exciting, and I’m happy to be part of the festivities.”
- Chris Zavala (6-0) v. Rennard Oliver (7-2-3), who is looking for his first knockout as a pro
- Feargal McCrory (11-0) will look to continue his rise to the top against Juan Tapia (9-3)
- Matthew Tinker (2-0) will take on Esai Herrera (2-1)
The March 17 show takes place inside the Hulu Theater. The undercard begins at 5 p.m. ET on ESPN+. Tickets range from $30 to $200.