Smith Yearns for Fight Against Rockhold
Anthony Smith had some tense words for Luke Rockhold when asked about him at the UFC summer kickoff press conference, and a fight down the road may be inevitable.
Coming off a failed light heavyweight title bid against Jon Jones at UFC 235 last month, Smith has now been booked for the main event of UFC Stockholm on June 1, as he takes on Sweden’s own Alexander Gustafsson, who also came up short in a title fight with Jones this past December at UFC 232.
Rockhold has announced intentions to move up to the light heavyweight division, and in a previous media scrum back in January, he appeared to be extremely confident in a path to a 205-pound title shot, insinuating the light heavyweight division is weaker in talent depth.
Rockhold has fought just twice within the past couple of years since losing the UFC middleweight championship to Michael Bisping at UFC 199 in 2016.
“That guy’s a [expletive] piece of [expletive],” Smith said. “[Expletive] Luke Rockhold. The first opportunity I get, I’m going to drill a hole through Luke Rockhold’s [expletive] face. I promise you guys that.”
Rockhold went through several names at the January scrum and how they’d stack up against Jones. One of these was Smith, and Rockhold claimed he didn’t understand why Smith got a shot when he struggled to get contender status at middleweight. He thought Smith would be finished by Jones in the first, but Smith went the distance with Jones, and could have even won the title had he taken a disqualification.
Smith didn’t mince words when asked about Rockhold’s comments.
“The first opportunity that I get after this fight, it doesn’t matter what happens, I’ll fight Luke Rockhold with one [expletive] leg,” Smith said. “I’m going to beat that dude’s [expletive].”
Original Story: MMAFighting