Terence Crawford ‘Moving On’ From Top Rank, Wishes Everyone The Best
Saturday night marked Terence Crawford’s last fight with Top Rank.
Crawford (38-0, 29 KOs) successfully defended his WBO welterweight title with an emphatic victory over former two-time welterweight world champion Shawn Porter (31-4-1, 17 KOs). To top off the fact that Crawford knocked down Porter twice, Crawford said he’s leaving Top Rank.
He announced the news when asked about his status with Top Rank and how CEO Bob Arum mentioned possible fights with Errol Spence Jr and Josh Taylor.
“I’m pretty sure my decision is made already,” Crawford said. “Bob couldn’t secure me the Spence fight when I was with him, so how is he gonna secure me the Spence fight when I’m not with him? I’m moving forward with my career right now and I wish everybody the best.”
Arum – who previously told media he believes that Crawford would stay with the promotion – said nothing in response, but his face told it all.
Crawford was with Top Rank since 2011. He signed an extension in 2018, citing that it was because of the partnership between Top Rank and ESPN.
Crawford-Porter aired exclusively on ESPN and ESPN+.
The 34-year-old world champion has been unable to get fights with the division’s best including Spence, Yordenis Ugas and Keith Thurman, to name a few, and all of whom are signed with Premier Boxing Champions (PBC).
He was previously slated to face eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao, but that fell through and Pacquiao retired over the summer.
Crawford is expected to sign with PBC.