Terence Crawford Warned Errol Spence Jr That He Was Going To Fight Before 2023 Either Way
Terence Crawford said that his news shouldn’t have been a surprise to PBC and Errol Spence Jr.
The undefeated WBO welterweight champion reportedly told Premier Boxing Champions founder Al Haymon and fighter Spence repeatedly that he would fight before the end of 2022 – whether it be against Spence or another opponent.
“I was really looking forward to the Errol Spence fight. I started communicating with Al Haymon and PBC back in June. And unfortunately, they represent a fighter in Errol Spence who didn’t want the fight as bad as I did,” Crawford told ESPN.
Crawford didn’t fully elaborate on his comment, but added that Spence was “nowhere” to be found when he was trying to negotiate a deal.
Spence told FIGHT SPORTS back in May that if the fight doesn’t happen, it’s not his fault. On Thursday, when Crawford’s next opponent, David Avanesyan, was announced, Spence stuck with his statement and blamed Crawford for the hold up.
Reports previously said that the once-October-targeted-fight was delayed because Crawford wants full transparency on the event expenses since there’s no guaranteed purse.
A fight between Crawford and Spence would be one of the most anticipated matchups in boxing. The bout will crown an undisputed welterweight champion.
Spence successfully gained a third strap against Yordenis Ugas in April while Crawford defended his WBO title against Shawn Porter in November 2021.