Terence Crawford Yet To Renew Top Rank Contract, But Bob Arum Believes He’ll Stay
All eyes are on Terence Crawford.
Aside from Crawford’s high-profile WBO welterweight title defense against Shawn Porter Saturday night, all eyes are on the three-division world champion because it could also be his last fight with Top Rank.
He said he’ll save the contract talk for later.
“My main focus is Shawn Porter,” Crawford told The Ring. “All that (contract stuff) we can talk about after the fight.”
Crawford (37-0, 28 KOs) has been with Top Rank since 2011. He had about two years left on his deal before signing an extension in September 2018.
Following the extension, the now 34-year-old announced his first welterweight title defense against Jose Benavidez Jr., which happened a month later. His minimum purse was bumped up to at least $3 million per fight.
He’ll be making double that for fighting Porter (31-3-1, 17 KOs).
Crawford previously said he signed the extension because of the partnership between Top Rank and ESPN.
One of the reasons Crawford has been unable to secure a fight with the division’s top contenders is because names like Errol Spence Jr., Yordenis Ugas, Keith Thurman and Danny Garcia are with rival promotion Premier Boxing Champions, who doesn’t have a good relationship with Top Rank.
So came Porter, who is with PBC.
Neither side had intentions to schedule Crawford-Porter until the WBO mandated it.
But Crawford said he is pleased with Top Rank’s efforts for Saturday night.
“They put more into promoting this fight than they did into promoting any other fight, so I’m happy for that,” Crawford said. “I’m enjoying every bit of it.”
Top Rank CEO Bob Arum thinks Crawford will stay with the promotion.
“As long as we did a good job and we produced for the fighter, and the events made sense for us, we continued to work together,” Arum said. “If we produce for Crawford, I believe he’ll stay with us, maybe on a fight-by-fight basis. We believe he will see we are doing the best for him.”