In a week where Chuck Liddell stated his intentions to return to fighting, he named Jon Jones as a person he’d want to fight.
Jones, who had his license revoked earlier this year after failing a drug test at UFC 214, has decided to take shots at the “Iceman.” Jones would go as far as to offer to fly Liddell out to fight that week in New Mexico.
And while Liddell has shifted his focus to a potential trilogy fight with Tito Ortiz, Jones has decided to dedicate his free time to trolling the 48 year old on Twitter.
@ChuckLiddell Brother I don’t have to be retired to be a legend first of all. And you talking to me about conducting my life outside the cage is just hysterical. Chuck we all know you’re far from innocent.
— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) May 18, 2018
Liddell mentioned that he would not only teach Jones “the right way to fight,” but also implied he would knock out the former UFC light heavyweight champion in a fight. Jones took that as a personal affront, and would reference Liddell’s five losses in his last six fights.
— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) May 18, 2018
Following being dropped from the WBC’s middleweight rankings for not being enrolled in their “Clean Boxing Program,” Canelo Alvarez announced on Tuesday that he’s signed a deal to participate year-round in the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association’s testing program for performance-enhancing drugs.
Para informarles que acabo de firmar el contrato con @Vada_Testing para pruebas durante todo el año.
I want to let you know that I just signed the contract with @Vada_Testing for year round testing.
— Canelo Alvarez (@Canelo) May 15, 2018
This move by the 27 year old star, seems to be the firs steps in bridging a gap between his team and Gennady Golovkin’s team, in scheduling a rematch for September in Las Vegas.
Alvarez would test positive for the banned substance clenbuterol, twice on February 17th and 20th, which would lead to a backdated six month suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, as well as the cancellation of his rematch with Golovkin.
Golovkin would end up defeating replacement opponent Vanes Martirosyan, in the second round of their May 5th title fight at Stub Hub Center in Carson, California.
It seems that Dana White isn’t the only promoter who is looking to make Mikey Garcia the centerpiece of their burgeoning platforms.
In an interview with ESNews, the WBC lightweight champion said that he’s speaking with Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn, about signing as part of his American expansion.
“I honestly already have been speaking to Eddie Hearn,” Garcia said,
“[I’d spoken to him about] a week before he made his announcement. He’d already reached out to me, we’ve already been talking. He’s going to be sending a proposal, he actually sent me something already.”
Robert Garcia, claimed that his brother received a call from Hearn, “screenshotted the offer,” and claimed the offer was “good.”
Even though he was stripped of the interim lightweight championship, UFC star Tony Ferguson believes he is the “true” champion of the 155 pound division.
Ferguson took claim of the interim title at UFC 216, when he would defeat Kevin Lee. Now, Ferguson is rehabbing from a knee injury suffered less than a week from when he was supposed to face Khabib Nurmagomedov for the undisputed lightweight at UFC 223. Ferguson would be stripped of his “interim” standing and would be replaced by Max Holloway and then Al Iaquinta.
Ferguson believes the UFC should not have stripped him of the title.
“The doctor told me recovery time is anywhere from three to six months with this kind of procedure, but I heal quick,” he told ESPN. “Whenever Khabib’s b**** ass comes back, that’s when I’ll be back. I’m thinking November.
”The UFC has indicated my title is gone and Khabib is the only champion at 155 pounds, but the UFC hasn’t mentioned anything official to my management. As far as I’m concerned, I’m still the true 155-pound champion. I never lost my belt.”
Ferguson will more than likely not be set to face Nurmagomedov upon his return, as Dana White has made it known that he refuses to make that fight for a fifth time, after the previous four were scrapped.
“That’s a big middle finger to ‘T-Ferg’ right there — that’s a kick to the groin if they do that,” Ferguson said. “At the end of the day, does the UFC really like its fighters? I’m one of their toughest fighters. Don’t kick me when I’m down.
At one point, Badou Jack was the biggest boxing star in his home country of Sweden, having fought in international competitions and the Olympics representing a country that ended a 36-year-old ban on professional boxing in 2006. When he first moved to the United States, he almost had to start from square one.
But now, Jack is getting ready to become a three-time world champion when he faces WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson, who has had a tight grip on the title for years, in Toronto on May 19th. Although the buildup for the clash is slightly different than previous ones, the end goal remains the same.
Jack will be facing perhaps the most dangerous fighter of his career and having the best training camp possible is of the utmost importance to him. When he spoke with FIGHT SPORTS, Jack called this current training camp one of the best ones of his career.
“Camp is going well. So far it’s good, real good. This is actually my first camp with no injury so I’m feeling extra good coming into this fight,” Jack said.
After a rough start in the United States that saw him grow dissatisfied with his former manager, Jack saw his career take a turn for the better after signing with Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s Mayweather Promotions in late 2012. Fast forward to present day and the investment has paid off with Jack fighting in his sixth consecutive world title fight, winning four of his previous five fights with one draw. Having attained world titles at super middleweight and light heavyweight, Jack is now working towards his life after boxing.