In this footage from TMZ, watch as Tenshin Nasukawa showcases his power prior to December 31st three round “exhibition” against retired boxer Floyd Mayweather.
Nasukawa claimed that “I’m not sure if a 42-year-old can react to these” while Mayweather told TMZ that he’ll be “moving around with the guy for 9 minutes.”
Blood is boiling, trash talk has been spewed, a brawl nearly erupted, and now the Hollywood lights shine down upon an eagerly-awaited heavyweight showdown.
Two of the hardest-hitting men in boxing today headline a card from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, as Deontay Wilder (40-0, 39 KOs) defends the WBC World Heavyweight Championship against former unified heavyweight champion Tyson Fury (27-0, 19 KOs).
While Wilder aimed to fight once more in 2018 after knocking out Luis Ortiz in March, he had his eyes set on another sight. Original plans appeared that Wilder was expected to finally face WBA/IBF/WBO/IBO Heavyweight Champion Anthony Joshua back in September. After months of negotiations, things came close but ultimately fell through at the last minute. Joshua instead defended his belts against his WBA mandatory, Alexander Povetkin, while Wilder took this fight with Fury.
The war of words between Oscar De La Hoya and Dana White seems to not have an end in sight.
Earlier this week, White would attack De La Hoya for allowing the Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz fight to even happen at Golden Boy MMA.
“I heard last week that the cokehead, ‘Oscar Del La Weirdo’ is talking sh*t, that I don’t have any place to tell guys when to retire,” the UFC President claimed on UFC Unfiltered. “First of all, it’s called friendship you f***ing cokehead. I’ve been friends with Chuck Liddell for 20 years and the reality is that Chuck Liddell retired when he should’ve retired, eight or nine years ago whenever it was,” White stated.
De La Hoya clapped back at White, stating he’s jealous of Golden Boy’s success.
“Dana is so small and threatened by our success with DAZN and now in MMA that he is bringing up news from a decade ago to try to stay relevant,” De La Hoya told TMZ Sports.
“Boxing has entirely rejected him. And, MMA fighters are now realizing they don’t have to risk their lives just so he can get rich. Golden Boy and I are moving forward and are bigger than ever. Dana should shut the f*** up and try to figure out how to save his own company.”
Following the resolution of a traffic issue, Conor McGregor would settle another legal battle this week, this one stemming from a chaotic UFC 202 press conference.
McGregor would settle a complaint with security guard William Pegg, who would dismiss a civil case against McGregor on Monday that claimed McGregor hit him with an energy drink can.
Pegg dismissed his complaint in Nevada federal court, noting that both sides had reached a settlement, after Pegg would sue McGregor for $95,000, $5,000 in medical bills, and $90,000 from McGregor’s $15 million UFC 202 payday.
The legal battle would be moved from civil court to federal court, where McGregor’s lawyers attempted to keep the former two-division champion’s financial records private, after attempts by Pegg’s attorneys to get McGergor on the stand.
After an attempt to bide more time in October, McGregor’s legal team announced that they’ve reached a settlement, with both sides paying attorney fees.
The wait will soon be over.
British Bellator rivals Paul Daley and Michael “Venom” Page are reportedly set to do battle in the main event of a Feb. 16 Bellator card from Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut. The news was first broken by ESPN’s Brett Okamoto.
The fight will serve as an opening round match in the Bellator Welterweight Grand Prix tournament.
A bout between the pair has been brewing for years, coming to a head when Daley and Page got into an altercation at Wembley Arena in May 2017 following Daley’s loss to Rory MacDonald at Bellator 179.
Daley nearly considered leaving Bellator earlier this year but negotiated a new contract with the promotion, with the promise of a fight with Page as part of the deal.