This Is Why Oscar De La Hoya Is Making A Boxing Return
Oscar De La Hoya is training for a boxing match against MMA legend Vitor Belfort on September 11 at the Staples Center.
In a recent interview, the boxing legend said he did not choose the time to hang his gloves, but the loss to Manny Pacquiao forced him to stop fighting. The Pacman defeated the Golden Boy with an eighth-round TKO in 2008. The MGM Grand Garden Arena hosted the Dream Match on a Saturday night.
The 48-year-old had been busy leading his boxing promotion lately, but he feels now is the right time to have closure for his retirement.
“Just to put closure on a career… on a retirement that I didn’t choose for myself,” De La Hoya told ABC7. “When Manny Pacquiao basically kicked my butt 13 years ago, it was a fight that was hard to swallow. You make abrupt decisions at the moment. Next thing you know I’m here in front of my statue bawling, crying, announcing my retirement. But it really wasn’t what I wanted.”
De La Hoya looked quite in shape in the last media workout. Despite the weight limit fixed at 185lbs, the Golden Boy, who’s currently at 180lbs, said he will come in at 175 lbs.
In his entire pro career, the Olympic gold medalist never competed at a weight higher than 160 pounds.