Team USA lightweight star Keyshawn Davis stopped France’s Sofiane Oumiha in the second round to secure a spot in the quarterfinals at the Tokyo Olympics 2020. The youngster, who recently turned pro, stunned the boxing community as he walked his talk with ease. Oumiha was the favorite in the fight, having won the silver medal in 2016 and being No. 1 seed at the Games.
While Davis was fired up and delivered a strong right hook to the jaw to put the Frenchman in a difficult spot. Since then, many have argued that the referee’s decision to stop the fight was uncalled a bit too early. Oumiha was shaken up by the haymaker, but it did not seem bad enough to put an end to the contest.
Here are all boxing matches that went down on Day 8:
• Yuberjen Martinez (Colombia) def. Amit (India)
• Ryomei Tanaka (Japan) def. Jianguan Hu (China)
• Shakhobidin Zoirov (Uzbekistan) def. Daniel Varela de Pina (Cape Verde)
• Carlo Paalam (Philippines) def. Mohamed Flissi (Algeria)
• Keyshawn Davis (United States) def. Sofiane Oumiha (France)
• Gabil Mamedov (Russian Olympic Committee) def. Richarno Colin (Mauritius)
• Hovhannes Bachkov (Armenia) def. Javid Chalabiyev (Azerbaijan)
• Elnur Abduraimov (Uzbekistan) def. Bakhodur Usmonov (Tajikistan)
Women’s middleweight (Quarterfinals)
• Lauren Price (Great Britain) def. Atheyna Bylon (Panama)
• Nouchka Fontijn (Netherlands) def. Tammara Thibeault (Canada)
Women’s featherweight (Semifinal)
• Nesthy Petecio (Philippines) def. Irma Testa (Italy)