A potential crossover fight between heavyweights Francis Ngannou and Tyson Fury hasn’t been scratched just yet. And, if anything, it’s gained even more hype.
Fury congratulated Ngannou on his first successful title defense on Saturday, but that wasn’t all that he said.
“Congratulations @francis_ngannou but if you want to make some real money come see the GK [Gypsy King],” Fury tweeted.
Congratulations @francis_ngannou but if you want to make some real money come see the GK 💰
— TYSON FURY (@Tyson_Fury) January 23, 2022
Fury took the opportunity to remind Ngannou of their plans after the UFC king’s fighter payout was disclosed, which is typically done in California.
Ngannou was paid a base purse of $600,000, MMA Fighting reported. This figure doesn’t include pay-per-view earnings, sponsorships or other bonuses.
While the six-figure payout may look nice, it doesn’t compare to what Fury, the WBC heavyweight champion, was reportedly paid for his October trilogy matchup against Deontay Wilder.
The British boxer made an estimated $30 million off that fight, a figure that includes a share of his pay-per-view revenue. Wilder potentially made around $20 million.
Ngannou and Fury have been teasing fans on social media, making it clear that they are both interested in meeting one another in a crossover fight.
Fury tweeted a mock poster of him and Ngannou earlier this month and asked his followers if they’d like to see it happen. Ngannou responded with: “How about MMA rules with boxing gloves? I can do you that favor.”
The Cameroonian followed up in a tweet that he had to handle “business” first on January 22 against interim champion Ciryl Gane, which he went on to win via unanimous decision. He said he would fight under any special rule set.
Ngannou has been at a standstill with the UFC for his contract. He wants boxing to be included in his new deal, but UFC President Dana White has told him through media to focus on beating Gane before making new demands.
Now that Ngannou’s done just that, it’s unclear if White and the UFC will add his new requirements. Additionally, since Ngannou’s won, he is subject to a champion’s clause, which keeps him in contract for either three fights or one year.
But the undisputed champion said he would be willing to sit out the rest of 2022 if he doesn’t get a new deal.
Meanwhile, Fury is scheduled to face interim heavyweight champion Dillian Whyte. The respective parties were given until January 21 to negotiate before it head to a purse bid, but reports say it was pushed back for a third time.
“The World Boxing Council has received requests from Tyson Fury and Dillian Whyte teams to extend the period of free negotiations to finalize the fight.
“If there is no agreement, a purse bid will happen this coming Wednesday, January 26,” WBC officials stated.
Either way, Top Rank President Todd duBoef – the co-promoter of Fury – called the matchup with Ngannou a “no-brainer.”
Ngannou responded to Fury’s congratulatory tweet with another mock poster.
— Francis Ngannou (@francis_ngannou) January 23, 2022