Tyson Fury-Dillian Whyte Purse Bid Hearing Postponed To January 18

Another roadblock has appeared in the process of getting Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte together.

The purse bid for the ordered clash between Fury, the WBC heavyweight champion, and Whyte, the interim titleholder, has been pushed to next Thursday, January 18, Whyte reportedly plans to appeal the designated purse split.

It was originally scheduled for Tuesday, January 11.

The WBC previously approved an 80/20 split in favor of Fury. But this goes against the WBC’s general rules of a 55/45 split between its world champion and interim titlist, but can be adjusted to as high as 70/30.

“The consideration for the 80/20 split comes from the purses the fighters have earned in their recent fights,” Mauricio Sulaiman, longtime president of the WBC previously told BoxingScene.

“The contracts that he’s lodged for his past few fights; his last one was 300,000 and one prior to that it was approximately 500,000,” Fury’s co-promoter Frank Warren previously told IFL TV.

“Tyson’s last fight was 20 million, so it could be nothing other than an 80-20 split, and really if you look at the money that they’ve earned on their last fights it shouldn’t even be 80-20 – but it is what it is.”

Whyte and his promoter Eddie Hearn announced last week of their plans to appeal the split. The next steps would be either the case gets heard in court or an assigned arbitration judge.

Fury’s co-promoter Bob Arum, of Top Rank, previously said Fury was no longer pursuing Whyte so that his boxer could remain active. Arum named former unified champion Andy Ruiz Jr and contender Robert Helenius as potential opponents.

But those possibilities dissolved after the “agreed” purse split was announced.

Fury and Whyte’s respective parties have until next Thursday to agree on a deal otherwise it will go to a purse bid.

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More