UFC Fight Night 205: Curtis Blaydes Drops Chris Daukaus In Second Round
Curtis Blaydes took less than two full rounds to end the main event of the night.
UFC Columbus took place at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio for the first time in 13 years. The headliner of the event was a highly anticipated heavyweight bout between top-ranked heavyweights Curtis Blaydes and Chris Daukaus.
— UFC (@ufc) March 27, 2022
Blades was using his striking to earn the victory. He was faking takedowns, but did not land any takedown.
Daukaus’ hands were relatively down in the second round to defend himself from takedown attempts, and he received a massive right hook. Blades earned TKO victory by landing punches on the ground. After the victory, he called out Ciryl Gane for the interim heavyweight title fight.
In the co-main event, Alexa Grasso defeated Joanna Wood via submission rear-naked choke. It was the first-ever submission victory for the Mexican fighter.
Since Grasso has tremendous boxing skills and zero victories via submission, it was a very unexpected but beautiful finish.
Bryan Barberena and Matt Brown held war for 15 minutes. Brown dominated in the first round, but Barberena managed to turn things around in the second round.
Both fighters were landing good punches, but Brown was mixing takedowns efficiently. However, the 41-year-old fighter got tired and ate lots of punches because of that. After 15 minutes of war, Barberena earned a split decision victory.
Kai-Kara France served the first ever defeat to Askar Askarov and will be the next title challenger.
In the first round, Askarov was dominating. The Russian fighter took Askarov’s back and controlled him, but France did a great job in the second round in striking and defending himself from takedowns.
Both fighters did their best in the final round, but judges decided that France was better because he did a better job in striking, and Askarov could not do any damage using his wrestling.
Check out the rest of the results below:
- Curtis Blaydes def Chris Daukaus KO/TKO, 0:17 R2
- Alexa Grasso def Joanne Wood Sub, 3:57 R1
- Bryan Barberena def Matt Brown Split Dec
- Kai Kara-France def Askar Askarov Unanimous Dec
- Neil Magny def Max Griffin Split Dec
- Marc Diakiese def V. Borshchev Unanimous Dec
- Sara McMann def Karol Rosa Unanimous Dec
- Chris Gutierrez def Batgerel Danaa KO/TKO, 2:34 R2
- A. Khizriev def Denis Tiuliulin Sub, 1:58 R2
- Manon Fiorot def Jennifer Maia Unanimous Dec
- Matheus Nicolau def David Dvořák Unanimous Dec
- Luis Saldaña def Bruno Souza Unanimous Dec