UFC London: Tom Aspinall Suffers Injury In First Round Of Main Event, Paddy Pimblett Shares Message
Another UFC main event ended abruptly.
Curtis Blaydes and Tom Aspinall were supposed to battle to find out who the next title challenger was, but Aspinall suffered a knee injury under 15 seconds of the first round. It is the second main event in a row that ended up via accidental injury. Blaydes won by TKO.
Last week, Brian Ortega suffered a shoulder injury, and could not continue the fight against Yair Rodriguez.
Blaydes was also unhappy with this accident, and it was not the victory he was looking for. After the fight, Blaydes visited Aspinall and they drank beer together.
In the co-main event, Jack Hermansson defeated Chris Curtis via UD.
Hermansson used all his striking, mixed it up with his wrestling and earned the victory. Somehow, he avenged his loss against Sean Strickland by defeating Curtis, his teammate.
Hermansson was moving and keeping distance, with body and high kicks. Also, he was shooting takedowns whenever Curtis was close.
Paddy Pimblett extended his UFC winning streak by submitting BJJ master Jordan Leavitt in the second round. After the fight, Pimblett used his moment to share a message.
“I want to dedicate this fight to little ‘baby Lee’, a little warrior and more of a fighter than any of us will ever be,” he said. “But also I woke up on Friday morning at 4am to a message that one of my friends back home had killed himself – this was five hours before my weigh-in – so Ricky lad that’s for you.
“There’s a stigma in this world that men can’t talk. Listen, if you’re a man and you’ve got a weight on your shoulders and you think the only way you can solve it is by killing yourself – please speak to someone. Speak to anyone.
“People would rather, I know I’d rather, have their mate cry on their shoulder than go to their funeral. So please, let’s get rid of this stigma and men start talking.”
Nikita Krylov welcomed Alexander Gustafsson back and served first-round KO.
Molly McCann earned her second great knockout victory in a row by spinning elbow in front of her home crowd.
Check out all the results down below:
- Curtis Blaydes def Tom Aspinall KO/TKO, 0:15 R1
- Jack Hermansson def Chris Curtis Unanimous Dec
- Paddy Pimblett def Jordan Leavitt Sub, 2:46 R2
- Nikita Krylov def A. Gustafsson KO/TKO, 1:07 R1
- Molly McCann def Hannah Goldy KO/TKO, 3:52 R1
- Volkan Oezdemir def Paul Craig Unanimous Dec
- Ľudovít Klein def Mason Jones Unanimous Dec
- Marc Diakiese def Damir Hadžović Unanimous Dec
- Nathaniel Wood def Charles Rosa Unanimous Dec
- Jonathan Pearce def Makwan Amirkhani KO/TKO, 4:10 R2
- Muhammad Mokaev def Charles Johnson Unanimous Dec
- Jai Herbert def Kyle Nelson Unanimous Dec
- Victoria Leonardo def Mandy Böhm Unanimous Dec
- Nicolas Dalby def Claudio Silva Unanimous Dec