The UFC has officially announced that on December 9th they will return to Shanghai for the second time in the organization’s history.
Despite a few fights already being announced, no main event has been set to round out the monumental return to mainland China. That being said, Chinese MMA fans will certainly feel a buzz regardless, as the UFC will make their first appearance in Shanghai since UFC Fight Night 122: Bisping vs. Gastelum in 2017.
China, we're officially on the way! 🇨🇳
— UFC (@ufc) November 1, 2023
Back in May, the UFC held four episodes of ‘Road to the UFC’, Surely in a strategic move to ramp up excitement for their eventual return. Each one of these cards featured five fights in a tournament format with ‘Dana White’s Contender Series’ feel.
LIVE: Road to UFC S2: Shanghai
— caposa (@Grabaka_Hitman) May 27, 2023
The main event was originally planned to feature China’s Song Yadong vs. Petr Yan, but unfortunately that fight will no longer occur. The UFC could be planning to find another fight for Song, but that has yet to be announced at this time.
Current UFC Shanghai Lineup:
- Andre Muniz vs. Jun Yong Park
- Nasrat Haqparast vs. Jamie Mullarkey
- Carlos Hernandez vs. Tatsuro Taira
- Brendson Ribeiro vs. Mingyang Zhang
- Allan Nascimento vs. Su Mudaerji
- Hyun Sung Park vs. Shannon Ross
- Long Xiao vs. Chang Ho Lee
- Rei Tsuruya vs. Jiniushiyue
- Kaiwen Li vs. Yizha
- Rongzhu vs. Shin Haraguchi