Usyk’s Promoter Hopes Fury Does Not Pull Out

Oleksandr Usyk’s promoter, Alexander Krassyuk, hopes Tyson Fury doesn’t withdraw from the Undisputed Heavyweight Championship fight on May 18. 

The fight has been disrupted on more than one occasion. The first date was set for December 23 last year. However, Fury withdrew after his split-decision win over Francis Ngannou where he was dropped. It was rearranged for February 17. Once again, Fury failed to make the date.

This time, the boxer suffered a big cut over his right eye in sparring. The Saudis have said they will fine either fighter $10 million if they fail to turn up on fight night. Fury’s cut ideally would take longer to heal, and there are reservations over whether he will make the fight. Krassyuk still had doubts about it. 

“I do hope that Tyson will wear his helmet, his protective gear this time and not injure his eyebrow or whatever he could injure, and that this time the fight on May 18 will go the way it should have gone in December and then in February. It’s the fight of a lifetime. The whole world is waiting for it. Let’s pray for Tyson and expect that the guy enters the ring,” Krassyuk said 

Fury has a history of withdrawing from fights. He failed to give Wladimir Klitschko a rematch. He injured his ankle before suffering mental health issues, so the rematch never happened. Fury also agreed to fight Anthony Joshua, only for Deontay Wilder to win an arbitration case, forcing Fury to take the rematch instead. With less than a month before the fight, fans will be hoping it goes ahead. 

Reaction

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More