WBA Announces End Of All Interim Belts
Earlier this month, WBA President Gilberto Mendoza said the boxing sanctioning body will enforce a reduction policy on its number of championships starting in the fall. On Wednesday, Mendoza declared it effective immediately.
Mendoza said all interim champions are now mandatory challengers for the superior champions, affecting boxers like heavyweight Daniel Dubois and middleweight Chris Eubank Jr., to name a few. It will be done based on the number of champions in each division.
“The World Boxing Association (WBA) decided to leave without effect the interim championships of the organization through a resolution published on Wednesday, August 25th, while the Gold Champions will no longer appear ‘above the rankings,’ the sanctioning body wrote in a statement on their website. “Instead, they will occupy a place in it among the rated boxers.”
There are 10 WBA interim champions who will now become the mandatory challengers:
- Dubois (heavyweight)
- Robin Krasniqi (light heavyweight)
- Eubank (middleweight)
- Alberto Puello (junior welterweight)
- Rolando Romero (lightweight)
- Chris Colbert (junior lightweight)
- Raeese Aleem (junior featherweight)
- Luis Concepcion (flyweight)
- Daniel Matellon (junior flyweight)
- Erick Rosa (strawweight)
The decision will strengthen “Gold champions.” The Gold belt holder will own the second place in rankings and have a better chance to fight for the championship.
“We are reducing our champions,” said Mendoza. “We accept the criticism of the media, we accept the criticism of the fans.”
The move follows the controversial series of events that followed the Gabriel Maestre-Mykal Fox interim welterweight title fight. The interim title was declared vacant and Gloria Martinez Rizzo – a judge who received backlash for her scorecard and past racist tweets – was suspended.