WBA Announces Leo Santa Cruz-Leigh Wood Purse Bid Hearing On August 12

Finally, there is light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to the title consolidation fight between Leo Santa Cruz (38-2-1, 19KOs) and Leigh Wood (26-2, 12KOs).

The long-time ordered title fight has become a subject of a purse bid hearing. The WBA has announced a date of August 12 through a Zoom conference call, informing all the relevant promoters via official document.

The minimum bid for this fight is said to be $150,000, with promoters also obliged to submit a $5,000 non-refundable participation fee.

Santa Cruz will have a 75% share of the final bid as the ‘Super’ featherweight titlist. The rest of the percentage will be going to Wood.

It’s unclear whether Santa Cruz and Wood will see a conclusion to this long overdue fight. WBA had ordered the fight on April 6.

However, TGB Promotions (Santa Cruz) and Matchroom Boxing (Wood) have failed to conclude the deal so far.

The destiny of this fight was said to be decided through a purse bid. However, there was a delay in the process as Wood’s representatives protested against the purse split.

According to Matchroom, the Brit had the right to have something close to a 50-50 split.

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More