WBA Approves Errol Spence Jr To Defend Titles Vs. Keith Thurman
It's targeted to happen in February.
Errol Spence Jr versus Keith Thurman seems to be getting closer to happening.
The World Boxing Association (WBA) reportedly confirmed that they have approved a request for Spence to make a world title defense against Thurman, a former unified champion. The matchup is targeted for February.
“On November 14, 2022, TGB Promotions applied for special permission on behalf of Spence to fight Thurman in February 2023, but with specific mandatory conditions. Pursuant to WBA rule C.16, which states that mandatory defense periods can be modified for cause, either by special permission request or on its own initiative, the WBA decided that Spence can face Thurman,” the WBA stated.
The approval follows the World Boxing Council’s order from earlier this month, which said for Spence and Thurman to fight.
The WBA also recently ordered for WBA regular welterweight champion Eimantas Stanionis to fight mandatory challenger Vergil Ortiz. The winner of the bout would face the winner of Spence-Thurman within 180 days of their fights – pushing a Spence-Terence Crawford undisputed title fight further into question.
“The winners of these bouts will square off in the near future to determine the pioneer body’s sole 147-pound champion,” the WBA added.
“The winner of the Spence-Thurman bout is obligated to meet the winner of Stanionis-Ortiz. This ruling supersedes all previous rulings and any issues that arise along the way will be resolved under WBA rules.”
Crawford, the WBO welterweight champion, fights David Avanesyan on December 10. He said it was a stay-busy fight before meeting Spence in the ring.