WBC Looks To Battle Weight Cutting
On Wednesday, the World Boxing Council (WBC) unveiled their new weight management program, focusing on keeping fighters healthy heading into fight night.
The plan has four specific rules for fighters and promoters that will be an attempt to keep all parties aware from fight announcement to first bell.
Per the WBC both fighters must disclose their weight when the fight is agreed upon, and the precise weight of either fighter must be submitted to the WBC upon the signing of a contract.
From 30 days out from fight night each fighter must be at least 10% away from the weight limit of each weight class, two weeks out they must be at 5%, and a wee kbefore at 3%.
If there is non compliance from either fighter, penalties may include up to $5,000, a warning, a 30% penalty of their purse, and the governing body withdrawing their sanctioning.
For a full look at the new Weight Management Program, please look below.
The Weight Management Program is as follows:
1. Mandatory disclosure of both fighters weight at the time of agreement for a fight.
The promoter must require each boxer and their management to submit to the WBC the precise weight that he/she has at the time of signing a bout.
2. Safety weigh-in 30-14-7.
The WBC will continue with the 30 and 7-day weigh-in but we also instituted a 14-day weight check and the percentages have been modified as follows:
· 30-day weigh-in 10%
· 14-day weigh-in 5%
· 7-day weigh-in 3%
The WBC will circulate a memo with the updated fine and penalties for non-compliance.
3. The promoter must arrange with the local boxing commission and WBC supervisor to have a scale ready at the site of the bout in order to have both boxers weigh upon arrival the day of the fight.
Boxers must not exceed 10% from the official weigh-in.
4. The WBC reserves the right to impose any of the following penalties for non-compliance:
· Fines up to $5,000 dollars for numbers 1 and 2.
· Withdrawal of sanctioning of a bout.
· Up to 30% penalty on the purse on number 3.
The WBC will have continuous communications with the promoter in every single event to support the administration of this Weight Management Program.