WBC Names Vargas-Salido Fight of the Year
Today at the annual WBC convention, the commission announced their pick for 2016 Fight of the Year, and Francisco Vargas has won yet again. Vargas’s back-and-forth war with Orlando Salido was picked as the year’s top contest. Last year, Vargas won Fight of the Year for his classic with Takashi Miura.
Vargas-Salido ended in a draw in June, a fitting classic that took place the day after the great Muhammad Ali passed away.
"As we looked at all the fights that could have been considered for the 2016 Tecate Fight of the Year, I was reminded of all the former champions who have raised a WBC belt in the past and our commitment to excellence in the sport," said Mauricio Sulaimán, WBC President. "2016 was an emotional year as we lost Ali, and we wanted to recognize a fight he’d have been proud to witness. That said, I’d like to congratulate Francisco Vargas and Orlando Salido on a legendary bout that I believe was dedicated to Ali’s memory and is very well deserving of the Tecate Fight of the Year Award."
At the time of the fight in June, Vargas did not dispute the fight being ruled a draw and was happy to share the ring with Salido.
"I think it was a great fight and a fight that the fans liked. I feel really good about this decision," Vargas said through a translator, per ESPN. "I knew coming in that I was going to be facing a very tough opponent. We never give up. I’m very happy. This is what they wanted. I’m happy I was able to face this skilled warrior. I’m looking for more challenges."
Vargas is set to fight Miguel Berchelt on January 28 in Indio, CA.