WBC Planning To Order Deontay Wilder Vs. Andy Ruiz Next
The next mandatory for Tyson Fury’s WBC heavyweight title is to be determined.
WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman revealed that the next mandatory will be the winner of a to-be-ordered Deontay Wilder-Andy Ruiz Jr title eliminator. It’ll be announced at the sanctioning body’s convention next week in Mexico.
“In the convention, all the final eliminatory rounds that include Ruiz-Wilder will be ordered,” Sulaiman told Marca.
Wilder is coming off of an explosive comeback victory over Robert Helenius on October 15. He knocked out his friend and former sparring partner under three minutes of the first round.
That fight marked Wilder’s first win following two consecutive losses to Fury.
Ruiz fought last month where he bested Luis Ortiz by a 12-round unanimous decision. He knocked down Ortiz twice in round two and once in round seven.
That fight marked Ruiz’s second win since losing the three heavyweight titles in a rematch with Anthony Joshua.
Following Ruiz’s win over Ortiz, he hinted at taking on Wilder in his next bout.
“Deontay Wilder, hopefully, you win. We can get it on. That’s what the people want. Let’s get it,” Ruiz told Fight Hype.
“God willing, he wins in October. We’re in the same organization. We can make this fight happen.”