WBC President Expects Ward To Stay Retired

Last week, former unified super middleweight and light heavyweight champion Andre Ward decided to troll the boxing world via Twitter.

“We’re working on something special,” Ward posted.

Ward, 33 years old, retired from boxing in 2017, a few months after a stoppage win over Sergey Kovalev in their June rematch to retain the WBA, IBF, WBO light heavyweight titles.

Prior to his retirement, Ward and trainer Virgil Hunter, discussed making a move to the heavyweight division to pursue a world title.

Obviously his tweets created a firestorm of speculation that comeback was looming, at the heavyweight level.

But President of the World Boxing Council, (WBC) Mauricio Sulaiman is not buying it.

Per a report from Boxing Scene, Sulaiman doesn’t buy the idea of Ward fighting at heavyweight or any other weight. The WBC prez expects Ward to remain retired.

“I doubt it, I do not think it will happen,” Sulaiman said, answering a question about the possibility of Ward resuming his career.

With Ward retiring from the sport, Sulaiman believes his organization has the best boxer at 175-pounds – WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stephenson.

The 40 year old Canadian puncher will defend his title in a very tough fight against Badou Jack on May 19.

Although Stevenson is old by boxing standards, Sulaiman believes the Canadian star has several years left.

“Adonis is a great champion, he is very strong, very stable. Yes, recently he’s had very few fights, but it’s not his fault. The fight with Badu Jack will be good, and Adonis has a long career ahead of him,” Sulaiman said.

 

Original report: BoxingScene.com

You might also like
By using our site you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. X

SIGN UP NOW!

Breaking News And Highlights Around Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, Martial Arts and more!

By signing up, you agree to comply with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.