WBC President Urges For Wilder-Fury Rematch
Mauricio Sulaiman has done all he’s can to clear the field for a rematch between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder, and with Fury potentially blowing up plans following his signing with Top Rank, the WBC president is urging both sides to make a deal.
“They owe it to the fans to make it happen,” Sulaiman told Press Association Sport. “I will speak with them. Last week I was communicating with both parties, and they both said that they were very close to making a deal for the fight to happen without the need for purse bids, so that’s how we left it on Friday.
“Then on Monday we had that news (regarding Fury’s ESPN deal), so I’m now communicating with both to see where they stand regarding those negotiations.
“We will take every single step, hoping to make the fight a reality. I’m hopeful.”
“I’ll assess their positions, understand the situation, and from there we’ll determine the steps to take,” Sulaiman said on the negotiations between the WBC champion and former unified champion, Fury.
“A purse bid’s possible. It’s their willingness to participate in the bout (that’s important); then we’ll make a ruling. They might ask for additional time,” the WBC president continued.
“I don’t know (that Fury’s agreement with ESPN makes the rematch harder). The current platforms are great.”
Initial Report: Boxing Scene