WBO Orders Parker vs. Ruiz for Vacant Title

The WBO held a convention in San Juan on Thursday, during which they announced the ordering of Joseph Parker vs. Andy Ruiz Jr for the vacant WBO heavyweight title. The bout will most likely occur on Dec. 10 in Parker’s native country of New Zealand. ESPN’s Dan Rafael was the first to report the news.

Parker had been originally slated as the mandatory challenger of IBF champion Anthony Joshua, but will instead contest for the WBO belt that Tyson Fury recently vacated.

Earlier this month, Parker’s promoter Dean Lonergan said that they were targeting a bout between Parker and Ruiz. The only hold-up was the need to wait for Fury’s situation to play out in full.

"Since Eddie is trying to secure Wladimir Klitschko to fight Anthony Joshua, we’re not going to sit down here on our hands," Lonergan said. "We’re going to pursue what we think is the best option for Joseph Parker.

"Right now, the way the cards are falling, Joseph Parker versus Andy Ruiz Jr for the WBO world title is the best opportunity we can see."

Now that Fury has had his boxing license suspended and his titles are vacant, the fight has been ordered for the end of the year.

Meanwhile, the fight between Joshua and Klitschko, planned for December as well, looks to be falling through. With Klitschko wanting the WBA belt on the line, he may face a different opponent rather than competing in the highly-anticipated fight with Joshua.

You might also like
By using our site you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. X

SIGN UP NOW!

Breaking News And Highlights Around Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, Martial Arts and more!

By signing up, you agree to comply with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.