What Does Oscar De La Hoya Think About Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell?
Golden Boy Promotions CEO and Chairman Oscar De La Hoya has weighed in on Ryan Garcia (20-0) vs. Luke Campbell (20-3).
Garcia and Campbell are expected to collide for the interim WBC Lightweight Championship. The fight is likely to take place later this year. De La Hoya told Boxing Scene that Golden Boy has sealed the deal on the title fight.
“Ryan Garcia versus Luke Campbell is a done deal,” Oscar de la Hoya, Chairman and CEO of Golden Boy told BoxingScene.com, echoing the sentiments from the canceled purse bid last week. “This is a very important fight, so negotiations took some time. Nevertheless, we are really looking forward to promoting this fight.”
In terms of what this fight will do for the 22-year-old sensation Garcia, De La Hoya said it’s a chance for him to prove that he is legit and at the top of the heap.
“A test of this magnitude will show everyone that Ryan Garcia has what it takes to be the best lightweight in the world,” insists de la Hoya, whose team has already begun to seek out a date and location for the event. “Details are still being figured out, but we know that we will stage it on the West Coast. We will make a full announcement in the coming weeks.”
In the past, De La Hoya has said he’s hoping to book Garcia vs. Campbell for November. Time will tell if that is a realistic time frame. Still, fight fans can breathe a bit easier knowing that the title bout has been locked up.
Garcia last competed on February 14, 2020. He knocked out Francisco Fonseca inside the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. Campbell is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Vasiliy Lomachenko back on August 31, 2019. The defeat snapped Campbell’s three-fight winning streak. He hadn’t suffered a loss since September 2017.