Where To Watch: Charles Oliveira Vs. Justin Gaethje Tonight
As we move toward the midway point of 2022, fight fans find themselves on the cusp of yet another event in combat sports, with UFC 274: Oliveira versus Gaethje. Live from inside the Footprint Center in Phoenix, the Pay-Per-View main card will feature five high-level mixed martial arts matchups.
In the evening’s main attraction, the door of the octagon will close behind former UFC lightweight champion Charles Oliveira (32-8), who was supposed to defend his title for a second time, but missed weight on the second attempt on Friday. Standing across the cage from Oliveira will be the former interim champion of the 155-pound division, Justin “The Highlight” Gaethje (23-3).
Gaethje has a chance to capture the vacant title.
Oliveira captured the vacant lightweight title just shy of one year ago at UFC 262, where he defeated a very determined Michael Chandler with a skilled set of strikes in the second round. Following this exciting showing, he secured his first title defense when he finished Dustin Poirier with a constricting rear naked choke submission in the third round of their contest last December. Additionally, Oliveira holds the record for most wins by way of stoppage in the organization and has not suffered a loss since 2017.
Under the expert tutelage of award-winning MMA coach Trevor Wittman, Gaethje has worked his way back into a position to compete for the lightweight belt once again. He earned this opportunity through an exciting victory over Michael Chandler, a victory that turned into an all-out war and went on to be named 2021’s fight of the year. This Saturday’s match will mark Gaethje’s eighth time competing in a UFC main event, and his second attempt at achieving the lightweight title. With this in mind, it is clear that this man is no stranger to the spotlight.
The belt is on the line between the best lightweights in the world 🌎@CharlesDoBronxs vs @Justin_Gaethje
[ #UFC274 | Saturday | Live on ESPN+ PPV: https://t.co/851nv10VGR ] pic.twitter.com/EGE9K6Xod6
— UFC (@ufc) May 6, 2022
Preceding the lightweight championship bout, will be a battle for the UFC strawweight title between “Thug” Rose Namajunas (11-4) and Carla Esparza (18-6). Namajunas will be looking to achieve another title defense and feels confident she will be able to avenge the loss that she suffered to Esparza back in 2014. However, Esparza has been on a healthy five fight win streak and will enter this co-main event with the assurance that comes along with knowing that she has defeated her opponent in the past.
The rematch almost 8 years in the making 🏆@RoseNamajunas vs @CarlaEsparza1
[ #UFC274 | Saturday | Live on ESPN+ PPV: https://t.co/851nv10VGR ] pic.twitter.com/16t8gBYqV8
— UFC (@ufc) May 6, 2022
Here’s the fight card, when and where to watch:
- Charles Oliveira vs. Justin Gaethje for the UFC lightweight title
- Rose Namajunas vs. Carla Esparza 2 for the UFC strawweight title
- Michael Chandler vs. Tony Ferguson ; Lightweights
- Mauricio Rua vs. Ovince Saint Preux ; Light Heavyweights
- Donald Cerrone vs. Joe Lauzon ; Lightweights
- Randy Brown vs. Khaos Williams ; Welterweights
- Macy Chiasson vs. *Norma Dumont Featherweights
- Brandon Royval vs. Matt Schnell ; Flyweights
- Blagoy Ivanov vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima; Heavyweights
- Francisco Trinaldo vs. Danny Roberts ; Welterweights
- Tracy Cortez vs. Melissa Gatto ; Flyweights
- Kleydson Rodrigues vs. C.J. Vergara ; Flyweights
- Ariane Carnelossi vs. Lupita Godinez ; Strawweights
- Journey Newson vs. Fernie Garcia; Bantamweights
- Andre Fialho vs. Cameron VanCamp; Welterweights
Date: May 7
Time: Early Prelims 6 p.m. ET, Prelims 8 p.m. ET, Main card 10 p.m. ET