Where To Watch: Jermell Charlo Vs. Brian Castano II Tonight
Following their first meeting that resulted in a split decision draw back in July, Jermell Charlo (34-1-1, 18 KO) and Brian Castaño (17-0-2, 12 KO) are set to square off for a second time. Barring another inconclusive result, this title unification bout will crown the first undisputed four-belt world champion in the super welterweight division.
Since their initial matchup, Charlo says he has learned a lot, whereas he believes Castaño has remained static. He would go on to exclaim in their press conference that he is faster, stronger, and will produce a knockout in this match he has named ‘USA versus Argentina’.
Contrarily, Castaño is confident in his own abilities and labels Charlo’s aggression on the mic, and lack of respect for fellow athletes, as “nervousness”. Without giving too much detail, Castaño claims that what he has in store for Charlo with be more than enough to become the undisputed champion.
In the first encounter between these 154-pound champions, both displayed highly intelligent boxing. Charlo was able to utilize his reach advantage to land big shots from the outside, but Castaño still found a way to use diverse angles to close the distance and unleash quick combinations.
Despite the competitors taking supremely strategic defensive measures, both found themselves in trouble at different stages of the fight after absorbing hard shots. This goes to show the offensive ability involved in this high-level matchup, as well as the determination on both sides to persevere after being rocked in a situation of extreme pressure.
— SHOWTIME Boxing (@ShowtimeBoxing) May 14, 2022
With the main attraction being such an exciting affair, it can be easy to overlook the bouts scheduled to occur earlier on the card. In the case of Jaron Ennis versus Custio Clayton in the welterweight co-main event, this should not be the situation.
Ennis enters this fight coming off a definitive first round knockout over Thomas Dulorme and will now look to add a 29th win to his undefeated record. Hailing from Canada, Clayton himself is also undefeated, and is looking to prove that he deserves to be ranked among the top ten 147-pound boxers in the world.
— SHOWTIME Boxing (@ShowtimeBoxing) May 13, 2022
Here’s the fight card, when and where to watch:
- Jermell Charlo vs. Brian Castano
- Jaron Ennis vs. Custio Clayton; Welterweight
- Kevin Gonzalez vs. Emanuel Rivera; Super bantamweight
- Marlon Tapales vs. Jose Estrella; Super bantamweight
Date: May 14
Time: 9 p.m. ET, Main event 11 p.m. ET
- Pan-Asia-Pacific ((excluding China, Japan, Australia, NZ): Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, South Korea, Malaysia, Laos, Singapore, Mongolia, Timor Leste, Brunei, Hong Kong, Philippines, Cambodia, Taiwan, Macau, Armenia, Azerbaijan), Fiji/Pacific Islands
- India + Sub-Continent (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Afghanistan)
- Spain, Portugal
- Greece/Cyprus, Albania, Ex-Yugoslavia (Slovenia, Serbia, Croatia, Kosovo, Bosnia + Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro)
- MENA (Bahrain, Iraq, Egypt, Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, UAE, Yemen, Morocco, Tunisia, Sudan, Eritrea, Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Chad, Somalia, Djibouti)
- Angola, Mozambique, Cape Verde