Nate Diaz and Dustin Poirier have contributed to make it a crazy week for the UFC and the status of UFC 230 and its lack of a main event.
Earlier in the week, Diaz and Poirier made announcements on Twitter that their UFC 230 bout would be the inaugural UFC Super Lightweight (165-pound) Title bout, claims that were refuted by UFC President Dana White later on. Then, Diaz claimed Poirier backed out of the fight, which “The Diamond” quickly denied.
“It’s nutty as hell,” White said in an interview with TMZ Sports. “Not only will there not [be a 165-pound division], we did not ever discuss that with [Diaz],” White said.”It was never an option, never anything.”
Diaz’s actions for UFC 230 have confused the UFC president since the Diaz-Poirier bout was first announced at an early August press conference. Diaz walked off the stage during the announcement for the Oct. 6 Khabib Nurmagomedov-Conor McGregor bout, seemingly upset at being upstaged by the Irish superstar.
“[Diaz] signed a deal to fight at 155 pounds against Poirier,” White said. “And, you know, from the minute the deal was signed, and he went out on stage, it’s completely weird. That’s what it is.”
White isn’t even sure if Diaz will compete at UFC 230, or if he will pull out, based on all his actions.
“I think he has to,” White said. “The guy signed a deal. Tickets went on sale. All the stuff is in motion. You can’t just sign a deal and then, you know, do the things that he’s doing right now and not fight. If you look at what he’s doing, I swear to God, I just had some police officers come in here this afternoon and said, ‘Oh, it sucks the Diaz fight is off.’ Most people think the fight isn’t even on because of what he’s doing on social media.”
Original Story: MMA Junkie