Why Did Luke Rockhold Avoid Retirement?
Former UFC Middleweight Champion Luke Rockhold (16-5) has revealed why he didn’t end up retiring.
Much had been made over the fighting future of Rockhold after his last outing. Back on July 6, 2019, Rockhold had a light heavyweight tilt with Jan Blachowicz. Rockhold ended up being knocked out in the second stanza. UFC President Dana White called for Rockhold to hang up his gloves.
Rockhold decided to take a break after the loss and admitted he didn’t see a return to the Octagon in the near future. The former 185-pound ruler ultimately decided to end his hiatus.
During an interview with MMAFighting.com, Rockhold said taking some time off was necessary for his body to recover.
“Fifteen years of continually fighting the best guys in the world, it’s a lot on your shoulders,” Rockhold said. “It’s just nice to get away and focus on other things and there will be a life after fighting. Aligning myself with certain things that make me happy outside.
“There’s a lot that goes into it. Time definitely does heal all wounds.”
Rockhold then explained why retirement wasn’t the best route to go at this time.
“The world’s f**king boring,” Rockhold said. “I need some more excitement. Kind of really comes down to that. Options are limited and I do miss fighting.
“Fighting is a part of me, and I still have a lot left in me, and the world’s f**king boring and I need something more.”
Upon his return, Rockhold will be hoping to nab his first victory since September 16, 2017. He has gone 1-3 in his last four outings. There isn’t a time frame for Rockhold’s return as he’s still healing but he feels significant progress has been made and he’s continuing to get closer to stepping back inside the Octagon.