Whyte: I Wasn’t Offered June Joshua Fight

Dillian Whyte is speaking out against WBA/IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, stating Joshua’s claim he was offered the June 1 title bout at Madison Square Garden is not true.

In a recent interview, Joshua claimed that several fighters were reached out to for the fight after Joshua’s originally planned opponent, Jarrell Miller, was forced out of the title bout due to failed drug tests. According to Joshua, boxers including Whyte and Luis Ortiz were offered the chance to take the fight but priced themselves out.

Whyte claims that statement from Joshua is completely false, stating he reached out to Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, about replacing Miller for the fight but heard nothing back.

“I can say right now – on my left hand – AJ and Eddie Hearn did not make me an offer for the fight in New York after Jarrell Miller’s failed drugs tests. It was me that offered to step in and take the fight,” Whyte told Talk Sport. “AJ had been in ten weeks of VADA testing, I had already been training for five weeks, so I said I’ve got enough time to get myself ready and I’ll take the shot.

I don’t understand why they would not tell the truth. There was a phone call with Eddie where I said I would jump in and he couldn’t have changed the subject quicker. He didn’t want to know.

This isn’t the first time that things have gone awry between Joshua and Whyte when it comes to a potential fight. Earlier this year, the two sides failed to come to terms for a title fight on April 13 at Wembley Stadium in London. Whyte has been itching for a heavyweight world title shot and says if Joshua wants to reach him and work something out, his line is always open.

“I don’t care what anyone says, no offers have been made to me. Joshua has got my number, he can contact me on Instagram, on Twitter if he likes – I’m a very easy man for him to reach.”

Joshua will face Andy Ruiz Jr. in the June 1 title fight, which will also mark Joshua’s U.S. debut. Whyte will face Oscar Rivas in the main event of a July 20 card at the O2 Arena in London.

Original Story: Boxing Scene

You might also like
By using our site you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. X

SIGN UP NOW!

Breaking News And Highlights Around Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, Martial Arts and more!

By signing up, you agree to comply with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.