Wilder-Stiverne II; Porter-Granados Recaps

Deontay Wilder (39-0, 38 KOs) was outright wild, powerful and dominating on Saturday night, defeating Bermane Stiverne (25-3-1, 21 KOs) with a first-round knockout to retain the WBC Heavyweight Championship.

“I just want to prove that I am the best,” Wilder said. “I know I am the best, but I want to prove that I am the best.”

Wilder came out aggressive right from the opening bell, firing a few jabs while Stiverne covered up. In fact, Stiverne answered nothing over the next two minutes of the round, as Wilder continued to fire away and keep Stiverne away from the inside.

Then in the last minute of round one, Wilder dropped Stiverne with a hard, right hand. While Stiverne beat the count, Wilder continued to unload and dropped Stiverne once more. Stiverne got up yet again, but Wilder finished Stiverne off against the ropes and the referee called the fight.

Following the bout, Wilder was asked about the potential for a unification bout with IBF/WBA/IBO Heavyweight Champion Anthony Joshua.

“I’ve been waiting on that fight for a long time now,” Wilder said. “I declare war upon you. Do you accept my challenge? I’ve been waiting for a long time. I know I’m the champion. I know I’m the best. Are you up for the test?”


In the co-main event of the evening, Shawn Porter defeated Adrien Granados via unanimous decision. As a result, Porter keeps his mandatory challenger status to WBA/WBC Welterweight Champion Keith Thurman.

Porter came out firing in the opening round, throwing off fast combinations and pounding away on Granados when he was up against the ropes. Granados, however, did try to fight back and a brawl looked to be just underway. Porter continued his work in the second round, also showing off his footwork when it came to avoiding punches from Granados.

The two worked the inside in round three, with both men getting in their fair share. Granados may have had just as good of a fourth round, but late in the round his back met the ropes and Porter made him pay the price again.

In the fifth round, Porter continued to work his jab and move around the ring. Granados seemed to not be as active in the sixth, and Porter continued to pound away.

Granados made Porter feel his power in the seventh round, although Porter may have won the round with two hard shots in the closing seconds. In the eighth, Porter ended up tackling Granados and things took off from there, with both men firing away, making the eighth round a true all-out brawl. Porter got Granados against the ropes yet again in round nine, but seemed to be slowing down a bit.

Granados struggled again to outwork Porter in the 10th, despite Porter clearly getting fatigued from all the punches he was throwing. Granados, however, was successful in this matter in round 11, landing more punches.

Granados put the pressure on Porter in round 12, but at this point, all Porter needed to do was work with what he had and avoid getting finished. Porter didn’t throw much, if anything at all, and it turned out that Porter may have broken his hand during the fight.

Still, Porter got the win as all the judges scored the bout 117-111.

You might also like
By using our site you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. X


Breaking News And Highlights Around Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, Martial Arts and more!

By signing up, you agree to comply with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.