Wilder Wants Ortiz To Take Four Drug Tests
As reported on Tuesday on FIGHT SPORTS, WBC champion Deontay Wilder negotiating to fight undefeated Luis Ortiz on March 3rd, which would make up for a cancelled fight set for November.
The original fight was cancelled due to a failed drug test taken by Ortiz. Ortiz would later be cleared by the World Boxing Council, after a determination that Ortiz was taking prescription medication for his high blood pressure. The failure prior to the Wilder fight was Ortiz’ second failed drug test.
Earlier this month in Miami, Wilder confronted Ortiz following the Cuban southpaw’s victory over Daniel Martz in Miami, Florida.
“I don’t want no excuses when I beat him. So, I asked Ortiz when he wanted to fight, and he said he’s ready now. So I’m definitely going to pursue this fight, trying to get him to sign and be in the ring,” Wilder said to Premier Boxing Champions. “I think I’ll get him in four rounds.”
As far as Ortiz’s history with failing drug tests, Wilder is going to monitor everything to ensure the fight goes through this time around.
“I’m staying on top of him as far as the drug testing. I hope he’s not dumb enough to make the same mistake again,” Wilder said.
“I didn’t see anything new, but I still think he’s one of the best in the world. He showed he’s back, and I’m glad he’s back. I want to give him another chance to make this fight.”