Golovkin Says Canelo Rematch Is His Priority

In the aftermath of his record tying 20 consecutive middleweight title defenses, Gennady Golovkin made it clear that he wants Canelo Alvarez.

A bit of a change for Golovkin, who was claiming that the Mexican superstar was no longer a concern and that there was only a 10% chance of a rematch with Alvarez, following Alvarez failing twice for Clenbuterol.

“I’m ready 100 percent. Of course he’s my priority,” GGG said at the post-fight news conference.

Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler, told FIGHT SPORTS last week, that they were waiting to make plans due to their respect for Martirosyan’s skills, is now looking to get to the negotiating table.

“The rematch with Canelo is the biggest fight in the sport of boxing. Both of them made career-high paydays, we [had] the third-highest gate in Las Vegas. Some rematches go downhill,” claimed Loeffler on Saturday Night.

“The ticket sales were on pace to break the number we did on the first fight, the pay-per-view interest, HBO said, was much higher than the first fight, and we think if that [rematch] happens — it’s not a guarantee — it’ll be a much bigger fight.”

 

 

Loeffler, Golovkin, and trainer Abel Sanchez all agree that for any progress to be made, Alvarez must enroll in random drug testing as a sign of good faith. They feel Alvarez should enroll now and show that he will be clean even during the suspension he was handed by the Nevada State Atlhetic Commission.

Original Story: ESPN

You might also like