Hearn Rushes To Whyte’s Defense

In the past, Eddie Hearn has come out against harshly against those who have tested positive for performance-enhancing substances, but in regards to his client Dillian Whyte, he belives his fighter.

“There was an independent hearing and he was cleared to box after providing evidence,” Hearn said of Whyte, who defeated Oscar Rivas last week to become the interim WBC world heavyweight champion. “Ask yourself why. Maybe the evidence that was provided was sufficient enough to prove he may be innocent.

“Give him a chance to prove that. Let the facts come out.

Whyte was stripped of his standing as mandatory challenger and interim challenger on Tuesday, less than a week after it was found that Whyte had tested positive for a PED by UK Anti-Doping.

“Whyte has to convince everybody who thinks he is guilty that he is not,” Hearn continued.  “That process is handled by Whyte and his lawyers. They are working to make sure his name is cleared, and the truth comes out.

“We have a strict policy that anyone who has knowingly cheated should be banned from the sport.”

Hearn said: “The facts that we do know – he was cleared to box by the National Anti-Doping Panel and UK Anti-Doping, and the British Boxing Board of Control. He’s not suspended by them so why should the WBC suspend him?

“Whyte is in the process of clearing his name. He could fight on Saturday if he wanted to. He is not suspended. He is cleared to box.

“It took 600 days for him to become mandatory – it was a struggle. But they have moved very fast to suspend [his status as mandatory challenger] without getting all of the facts.

Report: Boxing Scene

You might also like
By using our site you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. X