Mayweather: “I Gave Canelo My Date”
When Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin was announced for September 16, boxing fans were thrilled to learn that the highly-anticipated fight was finally happening. But the date for the fight did add an interesting wrinkle to another potential mega-fight, one between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor.
Following the announcement of GGG vs. Canelo, UFC President Dana White admitted that they had "lost their date", meaning that September 16 had been penciled in for Mayweather vs. McGregor assuming the fight could be made.
This news shouldn’t come as a surprise: For the last several years of his career Mayweather fought predominantly in the months of May and September.
Following his protege Gervonta Davis’s win over the weekend, Mayweather did confirm that they had planned on making the McGregor fight for September before Canelo-GGG was announced.
“I gave Canelo my date the other day,” Mayweather said (per Boxing News).
“September and May, because I’m Mayweather. Those are my months. May has to be my month because I’m Mayweather. May and September were always my months,” Mayweather said. He added that he may fight McGregor “maybe even this year. I don’t know yet, I’ll have to talk to my team”.
As for whether the news of Canelo vs. Golovkin will affect the decision-making process for Mayweather’s next move, Mayweather’s representative Leonard Ellerbe says "no way".
“No not at all," Ellerbe said. "Those guys, whatever they’re doing, we wish them the best of luck. They’re all great fighters. Floyd Mayweather is on another planet… If he does anything, it’s going to be one thing and that’s that.”