Miller Thinks Whyte Gets Next Shot at Joshua
Unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has been expected to next fight on April 13 at Wembley Stadium in London against an opponent still to be determined.
Despite the two-fight contract with the venue, cast has been doubted on said fight. A rumor has circulated for the past month or so that Joshua could instead take a May or June date to travel to the U.S. for the first time and face Jarrell “Big Baby” Miller at New York’s Madison Square Garden.
Miller had his first fight of the two-fight deal with Wembley Stadium back in September, stopping Alexander Povetkin in a title defense.
However, Miller says he hasn’t received any offers to fight Joshua, but hopes for a fight with him in the fall. He fully expects Dillian Whyte to get the next crack at the unified WBA/IBF/WBO/IBO champion. Whyte, however, has reportedly been unhappy with negotiations with Joshua and his team, with money being the center issue.
“No offers have been made for a fight against AJ as of yet, it’s just speculation and talk,” Miller told The Sun. “I think it will be Dillian Whyte, they were basically offering Dillian Whyte £3m and he made around £2.5m for the Dereck Chisora fight.
“AJ only wants to offer some chump change money, that’s why Dillian turned it down — and I don’t blame him either. You’ve got to pay, plain and simple — but I do think he’ll fight Dillian Whyte next. And then he can come to America, but I ain’t playing fair and I’m playing for cheap. Maybe September, I think that’s the closest I can see us fighting right now. We’re going to prepare for everything and we’re open to all options.”
Miller was scheduled to fight at The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden last week as part of a Jan. 18 Matchroom Boxing card, but that fight fell through in negotiations. Miller and his team are actively searching for his next fight.
Original Story: Boxing Scene