Even if Dillian Whyte was able to reclaim the interim WBC Heavyweight Title from Alexander Povetkin, he would not be granted the same privileges promised to him since 2017.
Recently, Whyte got knocked out by Povetkin in the “Matchroom Fight Camp” finale in Essex. As a result, the interim WBC Heavyweight Title went to the Russian, a former champion. Via Eddie Hearn, Whyte immediately exercised a rematch clause, and the two are scheduled for a November showdown. If Whyte was to win, he may once again have a claim to face the winner of Deontay Wilder v. Tyson Fury III.
Frank Warren of Queensberry Promotions, however, told Daily Mail that Whyte would not automatically get a WBC Heavyweight Title opportunity. In fact, his waiting time would be reset.
“I’ve spoken with the WBC since Saturday and they confirm that even if Dillian beats Povetkin to regain their interim belt the time scale has changed. The thousand days Whyte says he has been waiting for his WBC shot will not count,” Warren stated, via Boxing Scene.
“If he is reinstated as mandatory challenger, then whoever is their champion will have a year to make the fight.”
Wilder and Fury are expected to fight in December. If Fury took down Wilder for a second time and Anthony Joshua was to beat Kubrat Pulev, the two would face one another for the title of undisputed heavyweight champion. Joshua and Fury have already agreed in principle to fight in 2021.
Whyte was interim champion since 2019. Warren is unsure if a fight could even take place in November due to concussion protocols. It was previously reported that Povetkin would not be automatically getting Whyte’s title opportunity. If he were to beat Whyte a second time, a heavyweight title fight might not take place until after a potential Joshua-Fury clash.