Wilder Chooses Ortiz Rematch For Next Defense
Even if Anthony Joshua decimates Andy Ruiz Jr. on Saturday night in the Garden, he won’t face Deontay Wilder next.
Wilder announced on Tuesday night that it will in fact be Luis Ortiz, who gets the net shot at the WBC world heavyweight championship, in a rematch of their classic showdown in the spring of 2018.
“To all my fans, I want to announce that Luis Ortiz and I have signed for a rematch, with the date and site to be announced shortly. All my controversial fights must get dealt with ASAP,” Wilder wrote on Twitter.
Wilder v Ortiz II 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
To all my fans,
I want to announce that Luis Ortiz and I have signed for a rematch, with the date and site to be announced shortly.
All my controversial fights
Must get dealt with ASAP‼️#BombZquad pic.twitter.com/RZs7vLEhaj
— Deontay Wilder (@BronzeBomber) May 28, 2019
Per ESPN, the fight will most likely land at Staples Center, where Wilder went to a split-decision draw against Tyson Fury in December of 2018, this September for a FOX Sports Pay-Per-View.
Wilder dropped Ortiz in the tenth round of their world heavyweight title showdown on March 3rd of last year in the Barclays Center, with the Cuban southpaw being the toughest challenge for Joshua to that point.
“I expect it to be a hell of a fight again,” Wilder’s co-manager Shelly Finkel told ESPN, while declining to get into specifics of the date, location or broadcaster. “This guy is very dangerous. He’s a big puncher.”
“I think that Ortiz was one of the most avoided guys in the division. They called him the bogeyman and Deontay was the only guy who actively sought him out,” Jay Deas, Wilder’s trainer and co-manager, told ESPN. “Ortiz thought he would get a lot of opportunities for a big fight based on his performance against Deontay but he didn’t. He became more avoided. I commend Deontay for once again wanting to fight the guy nobody wants to fight.
When asked why Wilder wouldn’t wait and go to the table with Joshua, but Deas does not level any blame on his fighter.
“That’s never been our fault,” Deas continued.
“We offered Joshua $50 million and it was real and they said no and they offered us $15 million and we said yes and they still decided not to do the fight. It’s clear who has wanted the fight. I like to deal with no games. With Ortiz, no games. With Fury, no games. With Breazeale, no games.”
Quotes Via ESPN