IJF Reveals New Rules for 2020 Olympics
The International Judo Federation has published their new regulations for the upcoming Olympic cycle. The new rules have been created to make the rules of judo clearer and easier to understand for television viewing, as well as to fix small issues with the current regulations.
The new rules are available below, courtesy of JudoInside:
• Duration of contest
– Men and women four (4) minutes. Respect for parity as wished by the IOC and fight time unity for the Olympic mixed team event. Only scores (technical scores) will decide a contest.
• Golden score
– In the case where there is no score(s), or scores are equal, the contest will continue in Golden Score.
– Any score and/or penalties from regular time will remain on the score board.
– The decision in the golden score is made by the difference of score or shido.
• Evaluation of the points
– There will now only be ippon and waza-ari.
– The value of waza-ari includes those given for yuko in the past.
– The waza-ari do not add up. Two waza-ari are no longer the equivalent of ippon
– Immobilisations (Osae Komi): Waza-ari 10 seconds, Ippon 20 seconds.
– There are now three shido, instead of previously four.
– The third shido becomes Hansoku Make.
– In order to simplify the refereeing and its understanding all the actions that have been punished in the past on how to grab the judogi (kumikata) will not more be penalized: pistol grip, 2 hands on the same side, fingers in the sleeve…
– Kumikata will not be penalized as long as Tori is preparing an attack, but negative position will be penalised.
– The time for taking a grip and making an attack is 45 seconds.
– In case of a defensive attitude, shido will be given.
– Leg grabbing or grabbing the trousers, shall be penalized first by shido and secondly by Hansoku Make.
– The committee examined the rules with regard to safety to ensure that judo has as little trauma as possible. If Uke attempts to avoid landing on their back by any movement which is dangerous for the head, neck or spine, they shall be penalized with hansokumake. The competitor loses this contest, but can continue in the competition if applicable.
– Not to set a bad example for young judoka, false breakfalls won’t be considered as valid actions. Falling on two elbows, the action is counted. Falling on one elbow, the action is not counted.
– Anti judo is immediately penalized.
– For a better efficiency and to have a good grip it is necessary for the jacket to be well fitted in the belt, with the belt tied tightly. To reinforce that, the competitors shall arrange their Judogi and belt quickly between Matte and Hajime announced by the referee.
• World Ranking Points
– The points will be modified. Proposition will be made shortly.